Friday, November 7, 2008

Here we go

I'm sure it does not come as a surprise that I am so not excited about Obama winning the presidency. I know, I know - he's young, healthy, suave, and that he "sold himself" better than my guy. But he never said anything when he spoke. I just remember the words "change" and "distribute wealth" and laughter as he discounted Joe the Plumber.I'll never forget watching him say he didn't want his "daughters punished with a baby if they make a mistake." I can't respect a man who votes down a law to protect the lives of babies who survive partial birth abortion. According to an article I read about it, only the farthest left voted no on this one. A man who thinks these babies, while alive, should just be thrown out as medical waste will be our next president. I can't imagine why. I think people were blinded by his charisma. Did they seek to find his morals? Whether or not you want the government to legislate morality, you should understand the measure of a man can be found in his morals. And I would think that would be important in an election of this magnitude. But, what do I know evidently?

My sweet friend Allison pointed me to this scripture on Monday when we were talking about a prayer meeting for the election. I wasn't able to be at that meeting later that day, so she shared these encouraging words from Habakkuk:

"Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights." 4:17-19

Habakkuk was asking God some tough questions: why do the evil continue to gain? Why do you tolerate wrong? Why do you tolerate the treacherous? Why are you silent while the wicked swallow up those more righteous than themselves? God explained that he had a plan that involved the very wicked Babylonians having control in Judah. And God said this: "For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it lingers, wait for it; it will certainly come and not delay."

Then I found this scripture at Pink Paper Peppermints.


"
The steps of a righteous man are ordered by the Lord.

He delights in every detail of their lives.
Though they stumble, they will never fall,
for the Lord holds them by the hand.

Once I was young, and now I am old.
Yet I have never seen the godly abandoned
or their children begging for bread.
The godly always give generous loans to others,
and their children are a blessing.

Turn from evil and do good,
and you will live in the land forever.
For the Lord loves justice,
and he will never abandon the godly." Psalm 37:25

I will pray for our nation and for our next president, as I think he'll definitely need it. And I will continue to seek God and put my faith, trust, and hope in him alone. With him I will find joy...

and to end with a little comic relief - ladies and gentlemen, our next vice president asking a paralyzed senator to stand up. Remarkable!

4 comments:

Melissa~ said...

Hi Kristin,

So glad that scripture ministered to you. I have to keep going back and reading it myself...*LOL*...

Thank you for the Habakkuk reference, I'll go and read that next.

God is in control...(I just keep saying that to myself over and over.)

Blessings,

♥ Melissa~

tamblair said...

Oh,I think Joe is my favorite part of the entire campaign. He is like a used car salesman - wait, my husband is, too. But you know what I mean - slick, sly, always smiling. And his teeth are just TOO WHITE. But everything will be okay. Don't forget that little scripture in the Bible that tells us all things will work together for the good for those that love the Lord. That's all things. Good will come from this presidancy somehow. I know Republicans like you and I can't see it, but good will always emerge.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. I know that everyone's worried about the economy, but in my eyes if we can't get it right on abortion nothing else really matters. Those verses are great- thank you for sharing them.

Stacey Cannon said...

Ohhh Kristin...I couldn't not post on this, because my heart is right where yours is on this issue. Being in DC has been so eye-opening, and Norman and I have just been devastated by this. All we can do is have faith and trust in the Lord that He will not let us fall, whatever happens in the world around us.

Thank you so much for sharing the verses; they were very comforting. God bless...
Stace