Thursday, December 4, 2008

My heart

God has spoken to me this week about my heart. I had an angry encounter with someone I love very, very much. We were both ugly. We have both apologized. I feel guilty and he probably does, too. Then two days ago my Proverbs 31 daily email devotional was summed up by this prayer:

Dear Lord, It is easy to honor You with my carefully thought through actions but, sometimes much harder with my reactions. Even when I'm caught off guard, may Your love and patience be the spillover from my heart. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

This brought to mind what God says in Luke 6:45 " The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks." Oh, wow, do I have an ugly heart.

Then, later the same night, Elijah chose the bible story based on James 1:19 for me to read to him:

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry."

God very often speaks to me through my little Elijah. I love that boy for so many reasons, this one included.

I need to pray these scriptures over my own heart. And I need to call my brother.

0 comments: