Wednesday, December 1, 2010

advent

I had planned to have a semi-homemade advent calendar prepared for the kids to start enjoying today. In typical fashion, it sits on the kitchen table, started yet unfinished. My next thought? Get it done by Saturday and count down 20 days. Will that happen? Time will tell, but it looks doubtful. Someone needs to finish a little sewing for the girls (and they only have 24 more days to wear these Christmas clothes!) and someone else is having their 8th birthday Saturday. So, with schooling and sewing and birthday planning and celebrating and the in general feeding and care of all these people... yes, the semi-homemade advent calendar completion doesn't look promising. Let's just say I have a head start for next year, ok?

I am going to do an Advent reading plan found on youversion.com. Read what I found there about Advent:

What Is Advent? Advent comes from the Latin word adventus meaning arrival or coming. The Hebrews looked forward to the coming of a Savior or Messiah—the First Advent. Now, we are waiting expectantly for His return to sweep His bride off of our feet—the Second Advent. The Church has been waiting for Him to come back from the moment He left the first time.

Why Should I Participate in Advent? So, what does Advent have to do with celebrating the arrival of Jesus? Traditionally, Advent counts down the four weeks leading up to Christmas. Practically, Advent reminds us to look forward to His return every day. This season is about resetting Jesus Christ at the center of our lives. After all, when He comes to take us home forever, we want to be ready. Expect to be inspired, challenged, refocused, broken, motivated, unified, encouraged, and most of all, expectant.
I love that: "expect to be... expectant." I'm ready to wait for Him, aren't you? I'll try and share some of what I glean from my readings.

And just for fun, I'm totally stealing this idea from a favorite blog of mine because I love it - I will be counting down the days of advent with pictures from Christmases past. Bring on the memories! First up:





Ella's first Christmas and her first baby doll. Notice she was feeding her baby a scrap of wrapping paper. Sweet girl.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

If I'm feeling overwhelmed right now, I can't imagine how you are feeling. I keep looking at the advent calendars and then I look away. :) I do like the idea though. One thing at a time is all I can handle right now. . .