Monday, March 2, 2009

lift me up


I was working on my Beth Moore Esther study this afternoon when Miles walked in and made my day. That's a bit strange to say since he's been quite the grumpy one today. Evidently he has pink eye in *both* eyes. When we put the medicated drops in his eyes, by the sound of his resistance, you'd think that we were trying to pluck his eyes out or something worse. Then he sits there for about 15 minutes with his eyes closed while continuing to talk about the eye drops with disgust. Let's just say it's been fun. real. fun.

But as I was doing my study today and looking for a Word, I got one from my little grumpy Milesy. He approached me suddenly, wearing a newly donned and very ridiculous looking tobogan and said, "My job is to try to lift you up." What!!?? He repeated it. And then he moved on. Now, I'm sure he thought he was playing some type of super hero strong-man game that I was unaware of and his job was to literally pick me up, but he was the voice of God to me in that moment. I needed a reminder that I don't have to be all things to all people, I don't even have to be all things to my children. God is All things enough for all of us. And he cares enough about me to send a sweet little word through Miles, when I am least expecting it. 1 Peter 5:6 says:

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.

So, how did Miles do on his task of lifting me up? He couldn't have done any better. With God's help, even a grumpy little Milesy can lift me up "in due time."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a sweetie! I hope his pink eyes are better soon!

carrie said...

I just love when God uses our children to speak to us. I know for me that is when I hear it the best! Such a sweet story.