Tuesday, June 3, 2008

we're home...

and we had a wonderful time. Who knew that 5 nights/6 days of being responsible for no little people could be so refreshing? Well, I guess everyone knew it, but most of us have so few chances to actually experience it. Thanks go out once again to our mothers who gave our children their own little vacation.Here we are at Biltmore. Very beautiful and ridiculously large and well appointed. I kept thinking that our tour would end at any minute, and it went on and on. Lots of fun. My feet were so sore after the house tour that I did little exploring in the gardens. Jonathan took many beautiful pictures in the greenhouses, and I took this one of an orchid that caught my eye.This view was at Sunset Rock just outside of Highlands. Not visible in this picture is a pretty view of downtown Highlands, where we stayed at the Main Street Inn.We had read about a few falls to see, and the one we really wanted to see we couldn't because the area was closed for parking improvements. It would have been an easy little walk. Instead we chose to hike a mile downward to see Glenn Falls. After reading about descending over 700 feet in a mile we thought that just maybe it would be a bit too strenuous, and then we met a couple that must have been nearing 70 that had hiked it and recommended it. We thought if they could do it, so could we. So, not to be outdone, we hiked down, down, and down some more...and found this beautiful creation. On the way down I kept thinking, "we've got to climb up and out of this..." but I also thought of the beauty of God's hand that created such wonderful things. We would have missed it if we had wimped out of the challenge - which I seriously considered when the sign at the trail head said most strenuous. I also thought about the majesty we will find when the new earth comes down. How much more lovely will the new earth be? And we won't be out of breath when we hike it's trails.

1Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." Revelation 21:1-4
A picture at the top, when we were done, winded but grateful for the ability to enjoy the experience.

Thank you, my love, for a wonderful anniversary trip. I pray for many, many, many more years in the shelter of your arms. All my love...me.

5 comments:

Betsy said...

That sounds wonderful! Great pictures too. I'm so glad you got a well deserved break.

Mom of 4 Maniacs said...

Hey, that comment from 'betsy' was really from me... she had been longed onto my computer. She wanted me to note that, thinking that the comment I left was probably inappropriate.
:)

Gina said...

How very beautiful. Thank you for sharing your trip!

Rebecca said...

I am so glad that you guys had a great time. The pictures are gorgeous! It makes me want to go!

tamblair said...

I am green with envy!!! Looks like you guys had a wonderful, relaxing trip. Glad you made it home safe.